Connecting to Alibaba Express Connect
The Alibaba private interconnection service is called Express Connect. Alibaba Express Connect enables customers to create private connections between their remote network environments and their Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) deployments.
When connecting to Alibaba Cloud services through Express Connect with Megaport ONE, the Virtual Cross Connect (VXC) forms the Layer 2 component of the connection and Layer 3 BGP is established directly between the customer and their private environment with Alibaba Cloud VPC.
Benefits of Alibaba Express Connect through Megaport ONE
The benefits of creating a Alibaba Express Connect through Megaport ONE include:
- Enhanced security and higher network performance
- Scalable connectivity options
- API integration between Megaport ONE and Alibaba which simplifies the provisioning of connections for a fast and seamless experience.
- Connect to Alibaba Cloud on-ramp locations through any of the global Megaport cloud onramps.
- Connect with the Alibaba Cloud Enterprise Network (CEN). For details, see What is CEN? in the Alibaba Cloud documentation.
Creating a VXC to Alibaba Cloud
Before you can create a connection to Alibaba Cloud, you need to have an Alibaba account (you can create one in the Alibaba Console). Your account number is required to create your VXC.
To get your Alibaba account ID
- Log in to the Alibaba Cloud Console and retrieve your account ID. When logged in, click your user Avatar located in the upper-right corner and copy your Account ID.
To create a VXC to your Alibaba Express Connect peer location
- In the Megaport ONE Portal, choose Networking > Services.
If you haven’t already created a Port, see Creating a Port.
- Select the Port you want to use.
Click Actions and choose Add Connection.
Specify the General connection details:
- Connection Type – Choose Cloud VXC.
- Cloud Provider – Choose Alibaba Cloud.
Select the Alibaba destination port.
You can search for your preferred Alibaba port using the Country drop-down list, or enter a search term to filter results as you type. Click Clear Filters to reset the filters.
Enter your Alibaba Cloud Account ID copied from the Alibaba Console.
Specify the VXC Configuration details:
VXC Name – The name of your VXC to be shown in the Megaport ONE Portal.
Rate Limit – Select one of Alibaba’s supported speed options for the shared port connection.
A-End VLAN (optional) – Specify an unused VLAN ID for this connection. This must be a unique VLAN ID on this Port and can range from 2 to 4093. If you specify a VLAN ID that is already in use, the system displays the next available VLAN number. The VLAN ID must be unique to proceed with the order. If you don’t specify a value, Megaport ONE will assign one.
Alternatively, you can click Untag to remove the VLAN tagging for this connection. The untagged option limits you to only one VXC deployed on this Port.
Specify the Billing Details:
Service Level Reference (optional) – Specify a unique identifying number to be used as a service level reference for billing purposes, such as a cost center number or a unique customer ID. The service level reference number appears for each service under the Product section of the invoice. You can also edit this field for an existing service.
Monthly Price – The monthly rate is based on location and size.
Promo Code – If you have a promotional code, enter it and click Add Code.
Click Create Connection.
Review the connection details and click Confirm. The deployment can take several minutes.
After you have completed and deployed the VXC in the Megaport ONE Portal, return to the Alibaba Console and in the Express Connect section, find the new connection under Physical Connections. Make sure you select the connection region. Wait a few minutes from the time you deploy the VXC for the connection to appear in the Alibaba Console.
Click Accept and Pay.
Specify the duration of the Physical Connection.
Click Buy Now.
- Confirm the payment details.
- After your payment has been accepted, return to the Alibaba Console.
- Confirm that the Physical Connection Status has changed to Enabled.