Megaport ONE lets you connect to the services you need, when you need them. The process is simple and fast, and involves these basic steps:
- Create a Port, Megaport Cloud Router (MCR), or Megaport Virtual Edge (MVE).
- Deploy Virtual Cross Connects (VXCs).
- Use the VXCs to connect to services on the Megaport ONE network.
VXCs are Layer 2 Ethernet circuits providing private, flexible, and on-demand connections between any of the locations on the Megaport ONE network with 1 Mbps to 10 Gbps of capacity. Connections of up to 20 Gbps are also available between 100 Gbps Ports within the same metro. You can specify any speed within these limits in increments of 1 Mbps.
VXC rate limits
The maximum VXC rate limit is set by the lowest speed at each end (it cannot exceed the speed of the physical interface on which it resides).
- Port and MCR – The VXC rate limit cannot exceed the speed of the Port or MCR. This limit also applies to LAGs. For example, a 15 Gbps VXC is allowed on a 100 Gbps Port, but not on a 2 x 10 Gbps LAG.
- MVE – The maximum rate limit of a VXC is 10 Gbps.
Creating a VXC
After you configure a Port, you can create VXCs to connect to services on the Megaport ONE network. A VXC is a private point-to-point Ethernet connection between your A-End Port and a B-End destination (CSPs, Ports, or IX).
To deploy a VXC
- In the Megaport ONE Portal, choose Networking > Services.
- Select the Port you want to use.
If you haven’t already created a Port, see Creating a Port.
- Click Actions and select Add Connection.
The New Connection screen displays the Port name and A-End details.
Choose your Connection Type:
- Private Virtual Cross Connect – Connectivity between two locations for a single organization or service provider, traditionally called data center backhaul or Data Center Interconnect (DCI). You can use private VXCs as a core network backbone, or for connecting production and disaster recovery (DR) data centers. For more information on creating private VXCs, see Creating a Private VXC.
- Cloud Virtual Cross Connect – Connectivity to global cloud providers, including Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform. For details on connecting to CSPs, see Cloud Connectivity.
- Internet Exchanges (IXs) – Megaport owns and operates a series of local internet peering exchanges in many global markets. IXs provide greater efficiency between networks and allow for traffic to be exchanged directly, reducing bandwidth usage on your Internet connections. For details on IX, see Internet Exchange Overview or AMS-IX Connectivity.
Step through the procedures to configure your VXC.
The procedures will vary slightly depending on your connection type.
- Add the VXC to your order and configure further VXCs or proceed through the checkout process.
To edit a VXC
- Click the Gear icon next to the connection in the Megaport ONE Portal and select Edit.
- In the VXC Configuration tab, click Edit.
You can modify the details on the Megaport ONE side including the connection name, VXC rate limit, VLAN ID, and Service Level Reference. Once submitted, those changes take effect in a few minutes.
- Click Save.